Michael Ondaatje Number One Giller Finalist with Elizabeth Hay Not Far Behind
TORONTO November 1, 2007 - Five days remain before the 2007 Scotiabank Giller Prize winner will be announced and the latest rankings have Divisadero remaining at the number one spot with Late Nights on Air jumping up a spot to number two.
Late Nights on Air outsold M.J. Vassanji’s The Assassin’s Song for the first time since the Giller shortlist was announced on Tuesday, October 9, 2007. Effigy pulled ahead of A Secret Between Us to come in at fourth this week.
Rankings for the week ending October 28, 2007 are as follows:
Scotiabank Giller Award 2007
- Divisadero (number one last week) – Michael Ondaatje
- Late Nights on Air (number three last week) – Elizabeth Hay
- The Assassin’s Song (number two last week) – M.J. Vassanji
- Effigy (number five last week) – Alyssa York
- A Secret Between Us (number four last week) – Daniel Poliquin
What happened last year? In the week ending October 29, 2006, the relative rankings for the five finalists looked like this:
Scotiabank Giller Award 2006
- De Niro’s Game – Rawi Hage
- Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures (2006 Giller Prize winner) – Vincent Lam
- Home Schooling – Carol Windley
- The Immaculate Conception – Gaétan Soucy
- The Perfect Circle – Pascale Quiviger
For more Scotiabank Giller Prize analysis and more information on BookNet Canada and BNC SalesData and, visit BookNet Canada’s website at www.booknetcanada.ca
- # # # -
About BookNet Canada
BookNet Canada is the not-for-profit agency created by the Canadian book industry and the Department of Canadian Heritage to facilitate improvements in the book industry supply chain. It provides services and develops standards and certification in areas including electronic commerce via EDI (Electronic Document Interchange), bibliographic data, and analysis of point-of-sales and other supply chain data. BookNet acknowledges the financial support of the Government of Canada through the Book Publishing Industry Development Program (BPIDP) for its initiatives.