BookNet Canada wants you!
Join our nimble, creative team working at the intersection of books and technology.
Go straight to the current postings.
We are a not-for-profit agency dedicated to coordinating technological change for Canada’s book industry. We develop technology, standards, and education that make it easier for our stakeholders to promote and sell books, reach new audiences, and ride the ever-cresting wave of new technology. Our customers are spread throughout the industry and come in all shapes and sizes, from independent booksellers to multi-national publishing houses. We're a small, dedicated team of developers, project managers, and publishing pros making up, as The Globe and Mail puts it, "the book industry's supply chain nerve centre."
Working at BookNet
We have a serious commitment to work/life balance and our office environment is super important to us. We work out of a beautiful converted factory space in one of Toronto’s greenest office buildings in the heart of Queen West/Spadina — Green roof! Bike parking! Dark Horse Espresso Bar!
For contract and full-time employees, we offer medical and dental benefits, summer hours, flexible work times, RSP matching, and employer-sponsored volunteerism. We also know how to have fun, including baseball, curling, axe throwing, bowling, movies, and of course books!
Marketing Associate (6-month maternity leave contract)
Your main role is to communicate BookNet’s offerings and events to current and potential clients, and to enhance BookNet’s authority as a thought leader in the Canadian book industry. You’ll be responsible for maintaining the company social media strategy and managing all social media accounts (including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Pinterest) and external communication channels (including our blog and weekly newsletter). You’ll refine content strategies for all of these channels, and write or solicit content as needed.
Action is meaningless without analytics, so you’ll also be responsible for tracking and reporting on various metrics, both for your own efforts (social media channels) and for the Marketing department (website stats, event-related metrics, etc.).
Finally, you’ll be reporting to the Marketing & Communications Manager and assisting with a variety of general duties as needed (editing, light design work, proofreading, creating video tutorials, some administrative tasks). You will also be assisting with preparations for and working at our annual Tech Forum & ebookcraft conference, which will be taking place March 21-23, 2018.
- College diploma or equivalent current course study in a Publishing program
- Marketing experience: writing copy & calls-to-action, creating social media campaigns, etc.
- Experience with Google Analytics and social media management programs (HootSuite, etc.)
- Some familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
- A strong interest in the intersection of books and technology
- Experience with event planning, video editing, or podcasting would be a bonus
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to work independently
- Flexible, organized, and attentive to detail—the Marketing department always has multiple projects on the go, and some of them get turned around very quickly
- A love of and commitment to deadlines
The other important bits:
This is a six-month contract position starting in March 2018. Apply by e-mail only. Attach a resume and cover letter as PDFs and send to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Marketing Associate position” by Jan. 31, 2018.