Research from BookNet Canada
The book industry changes at an accelerated pace and keeping up can be straining—but you don’t have to go it alone. BookNet Canada publishes timely and actionable research so that your company is in the know and your staff has the know-how.
Where does our research come from? Our national sales tracking database, SalesData, represents 85% of the English-language trade print book market in Canada. We draw on this current and historical information to create market research reports, examining both annual trends and the impact of specific events (awards, etc.) on sales. We also regularly survey Canadian book buyers and readers to produce a variety of reports on book-buying behaviour and trends.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about any of our studies, or to learn how we can customize our research for your company.
- The Canadian Book Market: Our annual comprehensive report on the Canadian market. Contains detailed information on over 50 subject categories, including market share, weekly unit sales, average selling price, and top ten hardcover and paperback sellers.
- NEW! Deep Dive: A series of in-depth studies combining sales trends with consumer research on top-selling genres.
- NEW! Canadians Reading Canadians 2017: An update to previous studies on consumer attitudes towards books by Canadian authors and about Canadian subjects.
- Are You Still Listening? Audiobook Use in Canada 2016: A follow-up to our 2015 survey of audiobook users.
- The State of Digital Publishing in Canada: Starting in 2013, we have annually surveyed Canadian publishers about their digital publishing programs: what percentage of their backlist was digitized, what percentage of their sales revenue came from ebooks, their opinions on apps and enhanced ebooks, and more.
- How Canadians Buy Books 2015: An in-depth look at the purchasing journey, from awareness to decision to action.
- The Canadian Book Buyer 2015: An overview of book buyers' habits across channels, formats, and subjects.
- Listen Up: Audiobook Use in Canada 2015: A report based on a survey of audiobook users in Canada.
- The Canadian Book Consumer 2013: Three reports based on consumer surveying: In-Depth Reader Profiles, Book Purchases by Channel, and Digital Sales and Trends.
- Coast to Coast: Book Buyers Across Canada 2013: Based on The Canadian Book Consumer 2013 reports, this study explores how Canadian book buyers’ habits differ by region.
- Canadians Reading Winners 2013: A report exploring Canadian book buyers’ awareness of literary book awards.
- Checking Out Canadians 2013: A compilation of two surveys, one of Canadian book buyers and one of Canadian libraries, to gauge awareness and perception of Canadian books and to discoverability of Canadian content online and in libraries.
- Measuring Attitudes and Adoption of Digital Content for Kids and Teens 2013: A report examining children’s and teens’ reading habits and attitudes and behaviours around the use of ebooks and apps.
- Alice Munro, At Home and Abroad 2013: When Alice Munro won the Nobel Prize, we conducted a study to see how sales of her books were impacted in Canada and around the world.
- Canadians Reading Canadians 2012: A look at consumer attitudes towards books by Canadian authors and about Canadian subjects.
Research on the blog
We occasionally publish tidbits of research (and fun infographics) on the BNC Blog.
Reports for SalesData subscribers
SalesData subscribers can access exclusive reports on the impact of awards, perennial bestsellers, backlist trends, market performance, year-over-year analysis, and more. These reports contain confidential information and are restricted to registered SalesData users. You can find the password on the salesdata.ca home page. Log in here.