Here at BookNet Canada we want to give you the best, most up-to-date information about the Canadian publishing industry. We want to help publishers, booksellers, and everyone in the industry make the best decisions, sell the most books, and generally champion Canadian publishing.
In order to do that, we need your help. You might remember our previous State of Digital Publishing publications. We're back to ask publishers who are selling books in Canada to send us their data so we can put together an accurate and up-to-date picture of the state of digital publishing and so we can continue to provide year-over-year trends. The data we share can only be as good as the data we collect.
Help us make more fun and informative infographics like these:
Publishers who complete the survey will receive an advance copy of the final report, The State of Digital Publishing in Canada 2016. And, if you complete the survey before Feb. 17, 2017, you will also be entered into a draw for prizes that include tickets for BookNet’s Tech Forum or a copy of one of our consumer studies! It's definitely worth your 15 minutes to fill out this questionnaire.
But before you rush off we have some important points to note and some tips on what to have ready before you start.
A couple of important points to note:
- All questions refer to the sale of books in Canada. So where we ask for a percentage of revenue, we’re looking for the percentage of your Canadian revenue.
- If you are a publisher that distributes titles for other firms, please include this data in your responses.
- We would like publishers to respond directly, rather than digital asset managers or distributors. If you are exclusively a digital asset manager or distributor, then please forward this survey to your clients.
- It’s fine if more than one person in your firm responds. If this occurs and any discrepancies arise in the responses, we will be in touch to clarify.
- The survey asks questions about both production and sales for digital content (ebooks, apps, and audiobooks) so you may want to make sure you have access to that information before beginning.
Before you start:
Make sure you have the following information ready to go (approximations are fine if exact numbers are not available):
- Number of active print titles
- Percentage of backlist that has been converted to ebooks
- How many titles are available in ebook format (adult and juvenile)
- Number of ebooks with Canadian sales in the last 12 months
- Percentage of your firm's overall revenue that is derived from ebook sales
As always, all responses will be kept completely anonymous — data will only be released in aggregate form.
Ok, that's more than enough preamble. Go fill out our questionnaire!