The IDPF has posted stats for e-book sales for the first quarter of 2008. There is a noted 35% increase over the first quarter of last year. There are some caveats regarding the numbers:
- The data represents United States revenues only
- The data represents only trade e-book sales via wholesale channels
- The data represents only data submitted from approx. 12 to 15 trade publishers
- The data does not include library, educational, or professional electronic sales
- The numbers reflect the wholesale revenues of publishers
- The definition used for reporting electronic book sales is “All books delivered electronically over the Internet OR to hand-held reading devices”
The IDPF and AAP began collecting data together starting in Q1 2006 and since that time sales have been growing at a steady rate. The Q1 2008 is a 23% increase over the Q4 2007.