Canadian Consumer Research
Meet the Canadian Book Buyer
In the face of rapid change, publishers, booksellers, and librarians need to have a finger on the pulse of the book industry more than ever before. To meet the demand for consumer knowledge, BookNet Canada has embarked on a comprehensive ongoing survey of book buyer behaviour, demographics and preferences.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about any of our studies.
Read the research
Here are the consumer reports currently available:
- Deep Dive (paid): A series of in-depth studies combining sales trends and consumer research on Canada's top-selling genres.
- Are You Still Listening? Audiobook Use in Canada 2016 (free): A follow-up to our 2015 survey of audiobook users.
- How Canadians Buy Books 2015 (free): An in-depth look at the purchasing journey, from awareness to decision to action.
- The Canadian Book Buyer 2015 (free): An overview of book buyers' habits across channels, formats, and subjects.
- Listen Up: Audiobook Use in Canada (free): A report based on a survey of audiobook users in Canada.
- The Canadian Book Consumer 2013 (paid): Three reports: In-Depth Reader Profiles, Book Purchases by Channel, and Digital Sales and Trends.
- Coast to Coast: Book Buyers Across Canada (free): Based on The Canadian Book Consumer 2013 reports, this study explores how Canadian book buyers’ habits differ by region.
- Canadians Reading Winners (free): A report exploring Canadian book buyers’ awareness of literary book awards.
- Checking Out Canadians (free): A compilation of two surveys, one of Canadian book buyers and one of Canadian libraries, to gauge awareness and perception of Canadian books and to discoverability of Canadian content online and in libraries.
- Measuring Attitudes and Adoption of Digital Content for Kids and Teens (paid): A report examining children’s and teens’ reading habits and attitudes and behaviours around the use of ebooks and apps.
- Canadians Reading Canadians (paid): A look at consumer attitudes towards books by Canadian authors and about Canadian subjects.