The technology behind library ebook distribution can be challenging for librarians and patrons alike.
Beth Jefferson, the co-founder and CEO of library-focused tech startup BiblioCommons, discusses the opportunities and challenges of public library ebook distribution, and suggests ways that libraries can improve user experience, increase discoverability of a wider range of titles, and even—wait for it—sell books to library patrons.
- 0:20 - The trouble with borrowing ebooks from public libraries
- 10:35 - “Buy” buttons and the affiliate marketing model
- 11:30 - Library patrons are also book buyers
- 16:40 - Building discoverability and user engagement through libraries
- 20:40 - Building better metadata (hint: it involves ONIX)
- 22:37 - Making catalogue records more helpful to educators
We apologize for the abrupt start to the video. We experienced some technical difficulties with the recording.