The Pingdom blog has an interesting article on the national popularity of the top ‘Social Network’ sites. Some interesting info:
- Facebook is most popular in Turkey and Canada.
- Friendster and Imeem are most popular in the Philippines.
- LinkedIn is most popular in India.
- Twitter is most popular in Japan.
- LiveJournal is more popular in Russia than it is in the United States.
- Orkut is more popular in Iran (10th country popularity-wise) than it is in the United States.
- MySpace is the only social network which is most popular in the United States.
- MySpace, LinkedIn, LiveJournal, Xanga, and Twitter are the only social networks in this survey which have the United States in their top five countries, popularity-wise. That is just five out of twelve.
You can read the whole article on the Pingdom Blog
As is mentioned in the article looking at national statistic of social networking sites is likely more useful then just looking at page views, and definitely combining the two to make decisions is very important. What decisions? Well…are you marketing a book to Canadians—Facebook seems to be the place. Have a book on the history of the Phillipines—you might want to focus your energy elsewhere. etc…