A new service was launched a couple weeks back called Smashwords. It is a self-publishing site but with a focus on the digital book. In an interview at teleread the creator of the site said he developed the site thanks to his own experience with publishing:
I found it frustrating that a publisher could stand between an author and their potential audience, especially in today’s age where print on demand and the Internet are such forces for disintermediation.
When a reader clicks on one of the available titles at the Smashwords they get the following information:
- This book is available in:
- PDF format
- RTF format
- Kindle (.mobi) format
- Plain Text format
- Palm Doc (PDB) format
- Online Reading (HTML-only)
- Purchase this book in order to read it.
- Write a Review Add a Video Review
- Stars: (out of 5) 1 star 2 star 3 star 4 star 5 star
- Report This Book